Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tacos 2 Ways

Hey!

Tonight we had vegetarian and traditional tacos using my Mom's taco recipe and another based on Mama Pea's Roasted Chickpea Tacos - a vegan alternative to tacos that doesn't use fake meat (of which I am not a fan of)..

Originally I was going to make my Mom's tacos since I had half a pound of ground beef to use up.

See,  we love Mexican food !!!  Here we are taking a cooking class in Mexico :)
Mother Mercer's Taco Filling
Serves 4 with leftovers :)

1 lb Ground Meat (we usually use ground turkey but I had beef on hand)
1 packet Taco Seasoning (I like McCormick)
1 can of diced tomatoes

Brown your ground meat in a non-stick skillet, add seasoning, and diced tomatoes... Simmer until meat is cooked through and your desired consistency if reached.
This is a simple recipe but makes the best taco filling!

But then I saw a can of garbanzo beans in the cupboard and remembered that I had been wanting to make Mama Peas's tacos.  So - I made both.




Her recipe is here.  But instead of using all of the spices - I substituted the rest of the taco seasoning packet I had.  I was going to let my sister try them.... but then I read that the McCormick taco seasoning has milk in it!  How random!




So they are no longer vegan, but they still are delicious.  Plus they are definitely not vegan when you add cheese and sour cream to them... but at least they are vegetarian! :)  Here are the finished products!  Both were amazing of course - I really liked the roasted garbanzo beans -- this is the first time I have eaten them this way.




Toppings included sour cream, cheese, and avocado :)

We had roasted broccoli on the side - kind of random but we love roasted broccoli right now :)

Love, Allison




1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, I am vegetarian and this just blew my mind. Keep up the blogging because I am such a fan now. I have a huge bag of dried chickpeas in the pantry and I just had broccoli and rice today I love you. -Jasmine

    ReplyDelete